Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Here goes nothing! ha ha ha.

This Friday we will be the recipients of three boxes from the UPS man. I am strangely excited to open them up and begin to use their contents. We are really really really trying to be more financially prepared and get control of our money. Easier said than done huh? One place in the budget that seems like a waste to me was diapers!! We spend hundreds on something we just throw away!! And, they are not getting any cheaper. So after A LOT of research and consideration, we've decided to go with cloth. For just over $150, we are getting enough diapers for Carter for 3 or 4 days. I've heard, and I'm hoping it's true, that they are not near as bad to care for as diapers of the past. I've also heard, and hope it's also true, that kids potty train quicker in cloth. We usually spend at least $80 a month on diapers, so this will be a good budget cut for us. I'm sure most, if not all of you could care less, but just in case anyone is thinking about cloth, here is what we are starting out with:



We are getting a few of these. They are SO NICE, but almost $18 a piece, so I'm just planning to use them when we are out and about. One day maybe we can build up our stock!! They have a pocket you stuff the absorbent liner in, and then it's just like a disposable.


We are getting a few more of these. They're still kind of pricey, but it's a cover, so you can reuse it a few times each day with different liners inside. They come in really fun colors, which I liked. I hope to get a few more of these eventually too.

And the rest will look like this. These are kind of like the Flips, but cheaper. I think we will use these at night and when we are just home hanging out with nowhere to go. I'm thinking they will be the most labor intensive. They are covers also, and you use an old school pre-fold diaper inside.
We will have to wash them every 2 or 3 days and hang them out to dry. I'm not really worried about that. My biggest fear is when we are at church, the store, etc. and have to deal with them. I'm sure we'll work out a system that works for us. Another plus, is they are 1 size fits all, there are snaps you undo to make them bigger. So any future little Ballantyne's that come along will be able to use the same ones. The charts and research says if you use them on 2 kids you will save over $4000! I'm excited to save a little money and save a diaper tree or two in the process!! ha ha ha. Wish us luck! We are going to need it! ;)

5 comments:

Kaycee said...

I'm confused! It is costing you $150 for 3 or 4 days??? Maybe you meant years... hm. Anyway, good luck with this! I'm excited to hear how it goes...although I will never be ambitious enough to try it out! You'll be much more prepared than the rest of us when the last days leave us locked away for months without store access!

Spencer said...

Kaycee it is 3-4 days worth, the difference is the rinse and reuse part. Those same diapers will be used for a very long time!

foreverlaym said...

WOW! You guys are brave. Just the whole cleaning off the poop thing is enough to make me spend the money for disposable diapers. Then again, we're done with kids and won't have to worry about the extra money after Aidan is potty trained. I'll keep my fingers crossed for all of you!

Christy said...

yes I hope you update us on this. I think I am going to do cloth for #2. (plus there are some really cute ones!) Good luck!

Jenny said...

Christy! You should try cloth with Carter. It is a lot easier than I thought it would be and saves a lot of money. And you're right, there are super cute ones out there. Then you will have everything you need for future babies!